Using the Teen Discord Community
When you join the Discord server, you will see the ‘verify’ channel, while waiting for a staff member to contact you.
A staff member will then message you asking for your full name. Once you send this, the staff member can verify you, giving you full access to our community!
There is a summarised version of these rules in the Discord server
1. Avoid using bad language, the server is a PG family friendly space. If you are with SG friends outside of the server (such as in a game or in DMs), you are allowed to swear or discuss non-PG topics, as long as there is a mutual agreement between young people and their parents. But even in those spaces, homophobia, racism, sexism etc. are not allowed.
2. Be respectful of other members, their identities and preferences. Everyone has different triggers or things they are comfortable with as a result of their life experiences. If something tells you a topic or something that has happened is making them uncomfortable, please do not continue with this. When this happens, it is ok to ask questions and learn more. If the person concerned is not comfortable explaining (which is likely for some topics, or depending on how stressed they are), please feel welcome to speak to a staff member if you would like to learn more or hear some ideas.
3. Things can get heated during disagreements or games. When this happens, we recommend taking a break. If you get too stressed, it is normal for the logical part of your brain to stop working so it is difficult to step away! This means that staff may mute you temporarily to give you the opportunity to relax, as we know you after some time and space you will feel differently about the situation.
4. Please do not advertise other Discord or Minecraft servers, this includes in DMs. One of the reasons a lot of Spectrum Gaming members are allowed to join SG is that we have agreed to make it a private, safe space. Other Discord and Minecraft servers do not offer the same level of safety so invites are not allowed under any circumstances. Playing together with friends on well known, public Minecraft servers like Hypixel and Cubecraft is allowed, but no smaller servers, such as servers owned by SG members, their friends or small streamers.
5. Please do not DM members of the server without permission from them in the group first. You also need permission before adding people to group chats.
6. Don't violate the privacy of other members. This also includes sharing messages or what people have said in this server elsewhere without their permission, or sharing their DMs with others (you can share DMs with a staff member for any staff related issue)
7. No inappropriate usernames/pictures, and no impersonating other members or ranks
8. If you want to spam, do it in spam chat. Spam is:
Sending 3 of the same message
Sending lots of messages that make little sense Sending lots of emojis or GIFs
Sending messages that do not fit with the channel theme
Sending a sentence over several messages (e.g. one word at a time)
9. No minimodding. Minimodding is where you take on the responsibilities of a staff member by telling people how to use the server and trying to resolve issues yourself. The majority of the time this can cause more conflict or tension, so we ask that if you are unhappy with something, you make a support ticket so a staff member can resolve the issue. Staff members are all trained in resolving issues respectfully
10. OUR GOLDEN RULE - NO DISRESPECTING SHREK IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM
Once you are verified, you get access to all the channels, which all have different purposes:
info-rules: You can see all the community rules here
getting-support: Information on where to get support from when you are struggling
announcements: Here you can keep up to date with any community changes, or things that are happening within Spectrum Gaming
introductions: Here introduce yourself so others can get to know you. You can also read the introductions of other members
staff-introductions: Here you can get to know Spectrum Gaming’s staff members
Uploads: If you send Andy your YouTube channel link, he can add your channel to the uploads channel, so your videos are posted there every time you upload
role-assignments: You can use this channel to customise your experience. Press ‘reaction buttons’ to gain access to channels based on your interests!
We have event channels, where you can find out more about what events are running, when they are and how to get involved. Press the green tick next to an event so event leads know you are planning to attend, then press the clock button to set a reminder for yourself
Customise your experience
sign-up-for-a-buddy: scroll down for more information!
role-assignments: here you can get access to different text and event channels based on your interests
gaming-pings: here you can sign up to be notified when others would like to play a game that you also like
We have different text channels for different purposes. Some examples:
general is for conversation about anything you like
media-and-memes is for sharing memes, pictures and videos!
art-music-and-photos can be used to share any art you have made, music you like or photos you have taken
looking-for-gamers is a chat made for asking others if they would like to play a game
It can be helpful to take some time looking at each channel to learn how it works
Voice Channels are where you can speak with others using a microphone. You are welcome to join a Voice Channel at any time to chat with others. If you aren't comfortable speaking, you are still welcome to join! We have a text channel called voice-text which you can message in if you would like to join the conversation, but you are also welcome to join a voice chat and just listen :)
Making private voice chats
To make a private voice chat
Join the ‘Private VC’ voice channel, to make your own private space
To invite someone to the channel
type =open, followed by the people you would like to invite in the voice-commands. For example, to add Andy:
We are always open to feedback, so we have a variety of feedback channels.
event-suggestions – here you can suggest events that you would like the staff team to run.
feedback-and-improvements – Here you can share what you would like us to do better or differently on the server. This channel is reviewed every month by the staff team.
If you need support, go to the #support-tickets channel and click to activate a support ticket.
Once you have done this, you will be added to a private chat with staff members where you can share an issue, and a staff member will respond as soon as possible.
Please try and give as much information as you can :)
Adding music to voice chats
To use the music bot
Step 1: Join a voice channel
Step 2: Type ‘ch!play [song name] in the voice-commands channel
There are other useful commands for the bot
ch!forceskip: skip the current song
ch!pause: pause the music
ch!play: play the music
ch!queue: see the song queue
ch!shuffle: shuffle the song queue
ch!volume: change the music volume